Saturday, October 17, 2009

Life After Undergrad

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts about their new jobs or their experiences in graduate school. But there's one more aspect to consider: life after undergrad at K-State. As seniors, we all felt a little on the geezer side while walking around campus or visiting friends at a house party... that's not even mentioning the youthful antics of a fraternity on weekend nights. But this year is worse... much, much worse.

I felt incredibly old visiting my sorority house prior to initiation. I wandered around the halls of the beautiful old house, memories literally popping out of the walls, and I didn't recognize anyone living in. There was no familiar face to greet me and say, "Hi, how've you been?" I never really got a chance to meet the sophomore class due to student teaching, but wow, I felt like a stranger in a home I loved so much.

I'm sure this is a grave mental exaggeration, but still, it's very different without everyone here. No longer can I call up my favorite Colorado resident for wine and Grey's on Thursday nights and no longer can I see Senorita Julia booking it to class in her sweats and fancy scarves while grooving to a fantastic tune on her iPod. The bottom line is: all of the estrogen in my life has put on their big girl panties and left for the big girl world.

Now, don't pity me thinking I'm a complete loner with no friends left in the Little Apple. One of the benefits of marrying an engineer is their friends stick around for a little while. All of the men in my life are still around as well as the crazy nights at the Thunderdome, techno raves in the "Boom-Boom-Room," late nights studying in the engineering complex, bon fires, grilling, midnight showings of movies, amongst many other testosterone driven activities.

But...

What happened to the late night chats, longer than normal dinners because we can't stop talking, dressing up to the nines just for the heck of it, rocking the ville in 80's attire, sharing embarrassing stories, and yes, crying to our friends because something went horribly wrong in our lives. And when the heck did we get too old for sleepovers??

So, here's my solution. If you're ever in the Little Apple, and need a place to stay, look no further! Give me a call, Chad will go hang out with the Ben's, and we'll have a full-out, middle-school style sleepover complete with girl-movie classics (The Notebook or Sex and the City anyone?) and perhaps even a game of "Truth or Dare."

3 comments:

  1. amen to the too old for sleepovers..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww sorry you feel old! Oh, Manhattan. How I loved and yet do not miss thee...
    But I do miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. I can relate. I get a pit in my stomach every time I even DRIVE by ADpi. In fact I got a pit in my stomach just reading that. I honestly don't think I could even go there again because everything has changed so much. So many fun fun memories. The place where I laughed and cried the hardest. Even thinking of kuckelman sitting in the computer room with the daily gossip gets me haha.
    I will definitely be in town a lot and will be letting you know!!

    ReplyDelete