Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Classroom, version 1.0

Hi Friends!


My school opened for business today and I got my first glimpse at my classroom.  I LOVE IT! I never expected it to be so big, in good condition and with so much storage.  I guess I'm used to the tiny, well-loved classrooms of my alma mater.  Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.  Caution: This is after my first day... so expect a lot of bare space.  If you have any suggestions, please feel free to comment... I'd greatly appreciate it!


Video tour of my classroom, boxes and everything!


Here's the front view of my room. I'll have a nice, new interactive white board that goes in the center. I'm not quite sure what to put on the cork board... birthdays? procedures?? We'll see.  See my desks? I want to group them in threes or fours to promote multi-level ability grouping and cooperative learning but hate how two students have to hop over their shoulder partner to get in their seat.  Any ideas? I tried pinwheeling the desks, but one students back will always be facing the front of the room... and that's a no-no.

 Side view. Look! I have a WINDOW! I am beyond excited for this bright feature.  I'm also not convinced this is the best place for my calculators... any ideas?

  Back wall. I have two bookcases (now full of all my future student textbooks) and a really nice locking closet with drawers and hangers! The center table houses paper trays for student homework and supplies (hole punch, stapler, tape, etc). I'm thinking I'll put either the student of the month poster above the table or an example of homework headings.  To the right of the second bookcase are two square cork boards.  One of them will have absent work folders posted along with procedures. Don't know what I'll do for the second one.

My desk! I'm not fond of how close that pod of desks is to me... it's just enough room for me to walk behind them. What do you think?  That little table to the right of my desk will most likely house each classes copies for the week. We'll see. My mentor had a great idea for copies.  Use a magazine holder to separate each classes papers. 

My closets! They're pretty empty right now but I look forward to filling them up soon!  

Not too shabby for a couple of hours work. Look forward to getting those walls decorated :)

2 comments:

  1. Are they able to view the smart board with this set up?

    I would like to see you have a student of the week instead of the month. A running list of those winners could be posted. Then each month one could have two stars or whatever by their name. I would also be good to have the most improved student of the week/month listed so that those who struggle could receive credit for their efforts. That would allow more students to have the opportunity to shine.

    Color is what you need. Use primary colors since the blue is now dominant in the room. Yellows and reds and greens look great with that blue. Sunflowers are always great to start school. Pumpkins for fall and then of course snowmen for the winter. Daisies and tulips in the spring. You might like to visit US Toys for some bulletin board helpful hints. They are open till nine tomorrow night. Math posters are available at the teacher store with basic things that you might want. 7th graders are still young enough to like some of the same colorful touches that grade school offered.

    You do not have to use tons of stuff, simple can be better for students who need to focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom!

    Great input, too. The Student of the Month is actually a school policy, so there's not much I can do with that. I may do subsets for each month like you suggested, but I will play with that.

    I agree... color is definitely needed. Blue and black are the school's colors so the two bulletin boards in the back of the room will be covered in blue and black cloth with contrasting borders. I have an idea for problem solving posters that will incorporate many of the primary colors. I'd love to get a valence and maybe a bean bag or comfy chair for the corner by the window to add that home-y feel.

    As far as the whiteboard, they will all be able to see it... they will just have to turn their heads to the side.

    ReplyDelete