Thursday, June 3, 2010

Healthy(er) Honey, Ginger Chicken Tenders

Although I am renowned for my atrocious spelling habits, I do know "healthyer" is not how you spell healthier.  Please forgive me but my creativity has hit an all time low, particularly after spending the better part of this morning researching all sorts of theories and definitions of creativity for a summer class.






Last night's dinner was uniquely delicious.  As a youngin', I inhaled McDonald's Chicken Nuggets with Honey.  You'd rarely find any red meat in my hands, and if you did it was a plain-jane burger with just the meat and the bun... well salt and pepper if I was feeling particularly daring.   I still love chicken nuggets/tenders but struggle justifying the deep frying process as my metabolism is not at all what it used to be.  Through my copious food blogs, I found an interesting take on my tried-and-true favorite: Crispy Honey Ginger Chicken via How Sweet It Is  (Photo courtesy of How Sweet It Is.)  Both Chad and I loved this recipe and look forward to her other versions (Crispy BBQ Tenders and Buffalo Wings.)  Mosey on over to her blog for some fantastic sweets (most have a slightly healthy swing to them) and some creative reinventions of comfort food classics.

Tonight, time permitting, I'm braving into the world of eggs, Guyere cheese, bacon and green onions.  That's right; you guessed it: Quiche Lorraine!  The only quiche I would touch with a ten-foot-pole for the better part of my life.  Now that I'm all grown up, I've timidly tip-toed into the world of spinach and other fillings but still stand firmly behind the quiche that stole my heart.  I'll let you know how it turns out and maybe even post some pictures if I remember. 

Meanwhile, here's my latest project: HERBS!


Cast of Characters for Herb Pot 1: Sweet Basil, Thyme and Italian Parsley


Cast of Characters for Herb Pot 2: Garlic Chives, Rosemary (YUM!) and Cilantro.

No more buying the expensive $4 packs of fresh herbs, using only a teensy bit, and ultimately wasting money as the rest of them dry out.

Next project:


Resurrecting these very vintage, very rusty patio chairs and table.  Much like the majority of our furniture, these are family heirlooms.  In fact, these beauties are my parents' first patio set from the late 60s!  Don't you worry... I have a stiff steel brush and a can of matte black Rustoleum paint.  These puppies will look brand-spanking new in the near future!

Off to cheer camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment